Simply Grilled Vegetables in Pasta Salad
7,9 / 10
ready in 1 hr 50 min.
- 1 Eggplant (washed; dried and trimmed)
- kosher salt
- 2 zucchini (washed; dried and trimmed)
- 1 Red onion (peeled and cut into wedges)
- 1 red Bell pepper (washed; trimmed; seeds removed and diced)
- 5 Tbsps olive oil (divided)
- 10 cherry tomatoes (washed and halved)
- 2 cloves garlic cloves (peeled and minced)
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 10 fresh Basil (shredded)
- salt (to taste)
- freshly ground Black pepper (to taste)
- 8 cups mezzi Rigatoni
Cut the eggplant into 1/2-inch rounds and quarter each round. Sprinkle the eggplant with salt to draw out the bitterness, and place in a colander for 1 hour to drain.
Slice the zucchini lengthwise into thin slices. Heat a grill or grill pan to medium heat. In a large bowl, toss the eggplant, zucchini, onions and peppers in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Grill the vegetables, turning several times, for 6 to 8 minutes or until tender. Add the tomatoes and grill for the last minute or so.
In a large bowl, combine the grilled vegetables, garlic, oregano, shredded basil and season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
In a pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta to the al dente stage according to package instructions. Drain pasta and run under cold water to chill quickly. Pour into a colander to drain completely.
Combine pasta and grilled vegetables; drizzle with remaining olive oil. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve chilled.