Indian Rice Bowl with Lamb
ready in 6 h. 40 min.
- ¼ cup sunflower oil
- 4 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 inches fresh ginger (peeled and chopped)
- cilantro (chopped)
- 1 large onion (finely sliced)
- 5 cups Lamb shoulder (diced)
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons Cumin powder
- 1 ½ cups Basmati rice (rinsed thoroughly)
- 2 cups lamb stock
- 2 large vine tomatoes (peeled and diced)
- ⅔ cup Greek yogurt
- freshly ground peppers
Blitz together half the oil with the garlic, ginger, coriander, and a little salt in a food processor until smooth.
Heat the remaining oil in a large casserole dish set over a moderate heat. Fry the paste and onions in the oil for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the lamb shoulder and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Sprinkle over the ground spices, stir well, and cook for a further minute.
Stir in the rice, cover with the stock, and cook until simmering. Stir in the tomatoes and then transfer the contents of the dish into a slow cooker.
Cover with a lid and cook on a low setting for 6 hours until the lamb is tender and the rice is cooked.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon into bowls and garnish with dollops of Greek yoghurt.