Citrus Sponge Loaf
1 hr 40 min.
- 1.333 cups self-rising flour (sifted)
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (softened)
- ¾ cup golden caster sugar
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 3 eggs
- juiced and zested Oranges (from one orange)
- ½ tsp Orange blossom water
- 2 Tbsps Orange marmalade
- Oranges (cut in half to garnish)
- Orange zest (julienned to garnish)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar (to garnish)
Pre-heat the oven to 170°C | 325F | gas 3. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
In a large mixing bowl, beat together all the ingredients apart from the orange garnish using an electric hand held whisk until the batter just comes together.
Spoon into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 70-80 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin.
Once cool, turn out and cut half of the cake into 1.5 cm thick slices. Arrange the slices of cake and the uncut cake on a serving plate.
Garnish the uncut cake with the slices of orange and julienned orange zest. Sprinkle the cake with the demerara sugar and serve.