Asparagus and Bacon Flaky Pastry Quiche
ready in 1 hr 10 min.
- 4 fresh eggs
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- ½ cup fat-free half and half cream
- 2 scallions (cleaned and finely chopped)
- 1 ¼ cups Italian cheese blend
- 3 Tbsps all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp dried Italian seasoning
- salt (to taste)
- freshly ground Black pepper (to taste)
- 8 sheets thawed Phyllo dough (9 x 14-inch sheets)
- 3 Tbsps unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 tsps olive oil
- 1 ½ cups Asparagus cut in 1-inch pieces (plus 8 spears with tips; trimmed)
- 1 cup fresh Mushrooms (chopped)
- 8 slices cooked Bacon
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, half-and-half, onions, cheese, flour, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Set the phyllo on a clean work surface and cover with a damp paper towel. Working with one sheet at a time, brush lightly with melted butter. Place one sheet in the pie plate in the center allowing at least 1 inch to hang over the edge. Brush another sheet and place it on top of the first one crosswise. Continue brushing and layering each sheet, making there is an overhang around the entire edge. Fold the overhang over to form an edge and brush with butter.
Bake the phyllo crust in the preheated oven for 6 to 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the asparagus and mushroom pieces and saute 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Remove the partially baked phyllo crust from the oven. Place the cooked asparagus and mushrooms over the bottom of the crust. Pour the milk mixture over the asparagus. Arrange the asparagus spears and bacon in a circular pattern on top.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until filling is set and slightly puffy. If the edges begin to brown too quickly, cover them loosely with aluminum foil.
Allow the quiche to sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Can be served warm or cold.