Asian Beef Soup
- 500 grams Beef (such as chuck or brisket)
- 1 Star anise
- 1 teaspoon Szechuan pepper
- ½ Cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 350 grams Chinese Pasta
- 2 red chili peppers
- 4 scallions (green and light green only)
- 2 handfuls Fresh herbs (parsley and cilantro leaves)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Sesame seeds
Rinse meat and pat dry. Bring a pot of water (about 2 l) (approximately 2 quarts) to a boil. Add star anise, Szechuan pepper, cinnamon, fennel and the meat. The meat must be covered with water. Cook about 2 hours at low heat. Remove soft cooked meat from the broth, let cool, then cut into fine strips. Pour soup through a sieve into another pot.
Rinse chile peppers, clean and cut into rings. Rinse scallions, trim and chop. Rinse the herbs, shake dry and cut into fine strips.
Boil about 1 liter (approximately 1 quart) of broth, add the scallions, herbs, ginger and chile peppers. Season with soy sauce, lime juice and salt.
Arrange meat decoratively in soup bowls, pour the soup over gently and serve sprinkled with sesame seeds.