Gourmet Carrot Gateau
ready in 2 h. 40 min.
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter
- 0.333 cup Golden syrup
- 0.333 cup soft light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground Nutmeg
- 1 cup Date (soaked in warm water for 10 minutes)
- 8 cups carrots (peeled and grated)
- ½ fresh Coconut (finely grated)
- 2 tablespoons Cocoa bean (crushed for garnishing)
- 1 carrot (peeled and julienned for garnishing)
Grease and line a small springform cake tin (roughly 5-6 inches in diameter).
Combine the butter, Golden Syrup, sugar and ground spices in a large saucepan.
Heat over a low heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is thoroughly combined.
Meanwhile, drain the dates and roughly chop them. Add them to the mixture, then fold through the grated carrots. Spoon into the prepared tin, smoothing the top.
Sprinkle some of the finely grated coconut on top in an even layer. Cover the tin and chill for 2 hours until set.
When you want to serve the cake, remove from the fridge and turn out of the tin. Sit on a cake stand and sprinkle the rest of the grated coconut around it.
Garnish the top of the cake with the finely julienned carrot. Arrange the crushed cocoa beans in piles at regular intervals around the perimeter of the stand.