Gluten Free Shiitake Mushroom Quiche
ready in 2 h. 10 min.
- For Gluten-Free Crust
- ⅔ cup Brown rice flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 0.333 cup quinoa flour
- ¼ cup Potato starch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground Black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (plus extra for garnish)
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter (cut into small cubes)
- 6 tablespoons ice cold water
- For the Mushroom Filling
- 1 tablespoon good-quality olive oil
- 1 medium onion (peeled and diced)
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms (cleaned; stems removed and sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and minced)
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon fresh Sage (finely chopped)
- salt (to taste)
- freshly ground Black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Corn starch
- 1 cup half and half cream
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
For Gluten-Free Crust:
In the bowl of a food processor, add the brown rice flour, quinoa flour, potato starch, salt, pepper and herbs. Pulse several times. Add the cold butter to the flour mixture and pulse a few times, until the butter resembles pea-size pieces.
Add 6 tablespoons ice cold water, 2 tablespoons at a time and pulse until the dough comes together. It will not form a ball. Check the dough to see if it holds together when pressed between your fingers. If the dough will not hold together, add more water 1 tablespoon at a time.
Turn the dough onto a clean work surface, gently knead, and form the dough into a disk. Cover in plastic wrap and press down to flatten. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Work the dough into a tart pan using your hands. The dough is not very easy to work with, but it bakes nicely. Chill the dough for an additional 30 minutes while preparing the mushroom filling.
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
For the Mushroom Filling:
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, set over medium heat. Add the onions, mushrooms, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add the white wine and sage, season to taste with salt and pepper, stir to combine, cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat and let the filling cool slightly.
In a medium bowl mix together the eggs, cornstarch and half-and-half. Add cheese, season with salt and pepper and whisk until smooth.
Fill the tart pan with the mushroom mixture. Pour the egg mixture over the filling. Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown. Garnish with fresh thyme leaves if desired. Allow to cool slightly before cutting. Serve warm or cold.