Soft Cheese and Cherry Slice
ready in 4 h. 10 min.
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup butter
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsps sugar
- 1 tsp Bourbon vanilla powder
- 1 ¼ cups dried pulse for baking blind (e. g. dried beans, peas, chick-peas etc. )
- 1 sheet Parchment paper sheet
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese
- ⅔ cup cream suitable for whipping (30 - 35% fat)
- 2 clear honey (acacia honey), alternatively agave syrup
- Amarena cherry (bottled, from specialist Italian shop)
- sliced almonds (lightly toasted)
This tart is best made with very fresh ricotta (sheep's or goat's milk). In this case simply mix 500 g ricotta with the honey and spread in the pastry case.
Mix the flour, butter, egg, sugar, vanilla and salt and knead to a dough. Wrap in foil or clingfilm and put into the fridge to rest for about 30 minutes.
Roll the pastry out thinly and use to line a greased tart tin. Cut the baking parchment to fit the tin, lay it on the pastry and cover with dried pulses. Bake in an oven preheated to 180°C (160° with fan) | 350F | gas 4 for 30 minutes, until golden brown. Remove the pulses and the baking parchment and leave to cool.
Mix the ricotta with the honey. Whip the cream until stiff and fold in. Spread the ricotta mixture in the cooled pastry case and put into the fridge for about 1 hour.
Cut in the tin and carefully lift the pieces out of the tin with a cake slice. Decorate each piece with 1-2 tbsp Amarena cherries and a little of the cherry syrup. Sprinkle with flaked almonds and serve. Goes well with a glass of Vin Santo or Passito di Pantelleria.