Whole Grain Rye Bread
No other type of bread is more sustainable than whole grain rye bread.
Whole Grain Rye Bread...
- ...strengthens the bones.In every 100 grams of whole grain rye bread is 31 micrograms of vitamin K, providing 44 percent of the average daily requirement. Among other things, vitamin K is responsible for regulating blood coagulation and preventing osteoporosis (bone loss).
- ...is good for the digestion.The daily fiber requirement (at least 30 grams) can be covered by 100 grams of whole grain rye bread (about two thick slices), so long as the bread was baked from 100 percent whole grain rye flour. This promotes digestion and a healthy intestinal flora.
- ...is filling.The many roughage in whole grain rye bread ensures the carbohydrates contained are only broken down slowly and gradually enter the bloodstream. As a result, the blood sugar level rises only slowly and remains stable for a long time.
- ..is rich in B vitamins.Whole grain rye bread has almost all the vitamins of the B group in significant amounts. This has a beneficial effect on the whole body, especially on the immune and nervous systems.
- ..contains a lot of iron.Vegetarians in particular like whole grain rye bread more for its 5.2 milligrams of iron per 100 grams.
- ...supports the immune system.In 100 grams of whole grain rye bread is almost a third of the daily required amount of zinc, a trace element that ensures an intact immune system as well as hair growth and shine.
- ...contains gluten.For people with a wheat intolerance, pure whole grain rye bread can be a good alternative. However, anyone who reacts to gluten with symptoms should also avoid whole grain rye bread.
- ...can overwhelm the stomach.If you're new to eating whole grain, it has to be chewed thoroughly, otherwise it can be hard on the stomach. Irritable bowel syndrome sufferers tend to not be able to tolerate whole or coarsely chopped grain well.
What You Should Know About Whole Wheat Rye Bread
No other bread type satisfied hunger better than whole wheat rye bread. This is mainly due to the abundant amount of fiber. The hearty rye breads force you to chew thoroughly.
Here you can find all whole grain rye bread recipes.
How Healthy Is Whole Grain Rye Bread?
Whole grain rye bread baked with natural sourdough provides plenty of B-group vitamins and minerals. Two slices already contain about 125 milligrams of calcium, about 1/8 of the daily requirement.
This bread grain is almost certain to be free from residues of pesticides. Freshly baked, perhaps even still warm whole wheat rye bread is difficult to digest because it conglomerates in the stomach, which the digestive juices can hardly reach.
Often there is also a lot of salt in bread. Although this makes the dough work better, salt sensitive people cannot tolerate it. If a bread is not sufficiently loosened by natural sourdough, a lot of phytin remains, which hinders the absorption of important minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium and zinc.
|Nutritional values of wholemeal rye bread per 100 grams|
Shopping and Kitchen Tips
For packaged breads, look at the list of ingredients and buy a low-salt variety if you have high blood pressure and are among those who are sensitive to common salt. If you have a sensitive stomach, avoid freshly baked whole grain rye bread. After a day or so, it becomes easier to chew.