Skyr is an Icelandic dairy product that has been eaten in Scandinavia for thousands of years. Read up on what makes this yogurt-like product so healthy below.
- ...keeps muscles strong. Skyr is packed with protein, which helps the body break down fat instead of muscle mass between workouts.
- ...is good for the stomach. Skyr is produced with lactic acid bacteria, which helps promote a healthy intestinal flora and protects the mucous membranes.
- ...can help you lose weight. With its low calorie count and high amount of protein, skyr makes a great diet food.
- ...strengthens bones and teeth. Skyr is a rich source of calcium, which helps keep bones and teeth healthy and strong.
- ...contains lactose. While skyr contains less lactose than many dairy products, it still contains enough to cause issues for most people with lactose intolerances.
- ...should be bought plain. Always buy plain skyr when possible, as pre-sweetened varieties are often packed with sugar and preservatives. If you’d like some added sweetness, just add fruit, granola or a little jam at home.
- ...can cause allergic reactions. The proteins casein, alpha-lactalbumin and beta-lactoglobulin, which are contained in milk, are also contained in skyr. People who have a milk protein allergy should therefore avoid skyr.
What You Should Know About Skyr
This Icelandic yogurt-type cheese has long been considered a miracle cure by Scandinavians, some of whom attribute their long life expectancy to this kitchen staple.
Skyr has been a staple food in Iceland for thousands of years.
Skyr tastes like a mixture of low-fat curd cheese and yogurt, with a slightly sour taste and creamy consistency.
How Healthy is Skyr?
Skyr is rich in protein, containing 11 grams per 100 gram serving, about the same amount as cottage cheese. It's also low in carbs and fat, making it a great option for dieters. Beyond that, Skyr is a good source of certain minerals, including calcium, which helps keep bones and teeth strong, and magnesium, which helps reduce blood pressure.
|SKYR NUTRITIONAL INFO (100 g)|
Shopping and Cooking Tips
Skyr is available in most well-stocked supermarkets.
Skyr, like quark, stays fresh in the refrigerator for three to four days after opening.
What to Make With Skyr
Skyr can be eaten plain, with fresh fruit or nuts. Skyr tastes ideal in muesli or as a healthy snack between meals. Skyr can also be used for baking and cooking. Skyr is particularly suitable for preparing calorie-reduced recipes.