Shrimp Crackers with Sweet and Sour Sauce
7,7 / 10
ready in 25 min.
- For Sweet and Sour Dip
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind
- ¼ teaspoon Shrimp paste (Terasi)
- ⅔ cup hot water
- 3 ripe Apple (peeled; cored and diced)
- 1 soft Mango (peeled; seeded and diced)
- 1 sweet Orange (peeled; pith removed; chopped)
- ½ fresh Pineapple (peeled; cored and diced)
- 1 small Cucumber (peeled)
- 4 scallions (washed and peeled)
- 1 teaspoon Sambal oelek
- 3 tablespoons Sweet soy sauce
- ½ cup Palm sugar
Krupuk (shrimp crackers), tamarind, shrimp paste, sambal oelek can all be found at your local Asian market.
For Krupuk (Shrimp Crackers):
Heat the oil in a wok or saucepan. Once the oil is bubbling, working in small batches, fry the shrimp crackers quickly. Remove crackers from oil using a slotted spoon and drain thoroughly on paper towels. Serve immediately.
For Sweet and Sour Dip:
In a small bowl, combine tamarind, shrimp paste and hot water; let soak.
In a large bowl, combine apples, mango, orange, and pineapple. Slice the cucumber in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and dice; add to the bowl with the fruit. Cut the cleaned spring onions into rings and add to the fruit mixture bowl.
Stir the tamarind mixture until it becomes thick and brown. Strain through a fine mesh sieve and combine with the sambal oelak, soy cause and palm sugar. Pour over the fruit, stirring to incorporate.
Serve dip with Krupuk (shrimp crackers).