Fresh Bread Soup
8,4 / 10
ready in 1 hr 10 min.
- 4 slices peasant Bread (3/4-inch thickness)
- 0.333 cup olive oil
- 1 onion (finely sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic cloves (minced or pressed)
- 16 fresh Basil (washed and torn)
- 5.333 cups tomatoes (peeled; seeded; and diced)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- kosher salt (or sea salt)
- freshly ground Black pepper (to taste)
- good quality olive oil (for serving)
Heat the oven to 225 degrees F. Place the bread on the middle rack of the oven and bake for about 25 minutes. Bread should not be browned. Remove from oven and break into medium size pieces.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the basil, stir and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the diced tomatoes and bring to a bubbling boil. Reduce heat and simmer slowly for 13 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
Stir in chicken stock, bread, and season with salt and pepper. Return to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, for 12 to 15 minutes.
Remove pan from heat, cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
Divide between bowls. Drizzle with olive oil.