Dry Lamb Curry
1 hr 45 min.
- 4 Tbsps vegetable oil (or ghee)
- 2 onions (very finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 red chili pepper (seeds removed and finely chopped)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsps Mustard seed
- fresh ginger (peeled and grated)
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 6 ½ cups lamb (cut into large chunks)
- 2 tomatoes (deseeded and chopped)
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 ¼ cups Long grain rice
- parsley (to garnish)
- freshly ground peppers
How healthy are the main ingredients?Long grain ricegarlic cloveonioncinnamongingertomato
Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onions gently until soft. Stir in the garlic, chile, cinnamon, mustard seeds, ginger and cumin and cook for 2 more minutes.
Turn the heat up and add the lamb. Brown the meat on all sides then add the tomatoes and vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Add about 250 ml of water and simmer very gently for about 1 1/4 hours, stirring frequently, or until the meat is very tender. Add more water if needed during the cooking but bear in mind the finished dish should be fairly dry.
While the meat is cooking, cook the rice according to the packet instructions and keep warm.
Season the meat with salt and pepper. Serve over the rice.