Beef Stew with Potatoes, Peppers and Tomatoes
- 400 grams onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 700 grams Beef (shoulder)
- vegetable oil
- ground paprika (sweet)
- peppers (freshly ground)
- 1 tablespoon Tomato paste
- 150 milliliters Red wine (dry)
- 400 grams tomatoes (canned diced)
- 400 milliliters Beef stock
- 400 grams potatoes (waxy, such as red)
- 1 ½ Bell pepper (red)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 peppercorns
- 1 pinch Caraway (ground)
- 1 pinch cinnamon (ground)
- 1 pinch chili peppers (ground)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (freshly chopped)
Peel and finely chop the onions and garlic. Rinse, pat dry, and trim the meat, then cut into bite-size pieces.
In a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and brown the meat on all sides. Sprinkle with paprika, salt and pepper and remove from pan. Add then the onions and garlic and saute in same pan, then stir in the tomato paste. Deglaze pan with the wine deglaze, return meat to the pan, and add in the tomatoes and beef broth. Simmer over medium heat about 1-1/2 hours.
Rinse, peel, cut the potatoes into chunks. Rinse, pat dry and halve the bell peppers. Remove seeds and ribs and finely chop.
Halfway through cooking, add the potatoes, peppers and spices to the stew. Add more broth if needed.
Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley Ladle into bowls and serve hot.