This delicious vegan paella retains the same texture and flavor as the original classic recipe, without any of the meat and substantially less fat.
If you're pescaterian, you can add fish or shellfish to this dish for added protein with still relatively low fat.
- 1 pinch Saffron
- 1 medium yellow onion
- ½ Red pepper (cut into strips)
- ½ yellow pepper (cut into strips)
- ½ green Bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 large tomato (diced)
- 1 teaspoon Smoked paprika powder
- 1 ¼ cups Short grain Rice
- 26 ounces Vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- ¼ cup Olives (food group)
- 4 Artichoke (from a jar packed in oil, drained, sliced)
- 2 tablespoons plant based unsweetened Yogurt
Place the saffron in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of hot water. Set aside for 5 minutes to steep.
Peel & dice the onion. Wash and cut the peppers.
Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan, add onions and half of the bell peppers, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic, tomatoes, and smoked paprika. Stir well and add the rice, broth, and saffron mixture along with the sweet paprika, salt, and pepper. Gently stir everything to combine.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and cook uncovered, for 10 minutes. Do not stir the rice. If liquids seem to boil off too quickly, add a little extra warm water.
After 10 minutes of cooking add the remaining peppers and half of the olives. Turn off the heat and cover for 10-15 minutes with a kitchen towel so the rice can absorb any remaining liquid, as well as steam the peppers.
Serve with artichokes, remaining olives and yogurt