- 500 grams fresh Sardine (ready to cook)
- 1 carrot (coarsely chopped)
- 1 onion (coarsely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 250 milliliters dry white wine
- 1 lemon (cut into slices)
- 1 fresh, red chile pepper (halved, seeded and very finely diced)
- 1 bunch parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 garlic (pressed through a garlic press)
- 125 milliliters olive oil
Rinse sardines and pat dry. With a sharp knife, cut the abdomen of each fish horizontally and open like a book (butterfly). Remove backbone.
In a pot, combine carrot, onion, sage, peppercorns, 1/4 liter (approximately 1 cup) water, lemon slices and wine and bring to a boil. Simmer about 10 minutes, season with salt and remove from heat. Add fish and let stand 1-2 minutes. Remove fish, let cool and place in a shallow baking dish.
Mix oil with parsley, chile and crushed garlic and pour mixture over sardines. Let marinate about 4 hours, occasionally turning fish.