for 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 large carrots (peeled and finely diced)
- 2 sticks Celery (peeled and finely diced)
- 3.333 cups lean Ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups canned, chopped tomatoes
- 1 ⅔ cups low-sodium lamb stock
- 7 cups floury potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 2 tablespoons low-fat Crème fraiche
- 2 little gem Lettuce (leaves separated)
- freshly ground peppers
Heat the oil in a large saucepan set over a medium heat until hot. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and a pinch of salt, sweating for 7 - 8 minutes until softened.
Add the beef and brown well all over. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, chopped tomatoes, and lamb stock. Bring to a simmer, and then reduce the heat slightly, cooking uncovered for 30 - 40 minutes until slightly thickened.
Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a large saucepan of salted, boiling water until tender to the point of a knife; 18 - 22 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) | 350F | gas 4.
Drain and leave to steam off for 2 - 3 minutes before mashing with the creme fraiche. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Season the lamb mince mixture with salt and pepper. Spoon into a baking dish and top with the mashed potato. Run the tines of a fork across the potato to create a few indents.
Bake for 35 - 45 minutes until golden and crisp on top. Leave to stand for 5 minutes before serving with the lettuce.