Goose and Dumpling Soup
ready in 3 h.
- For Goose Soup
- 1 Goose rinsed and cut into pieces (2.25-3.2 kg | 5-7 pounds)
- kosher salt (to taste)
- 1 Bouquet garni (parsley; thyme; and bay leaf)
- freshly ground Black pepper (to taste)
- 6 carrots (peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks)
- 2 Leeks (washed and cleaned; cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 3 onions (peeled and finely chopped)
- 4 stalks Celery (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic cloves (pressed or crushed)
- fresh parsley (for garnish)
- For Matzo Dumplings
- 1 cup ground Matzo
- ½ cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 4 large eggs
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground Black pepper
- 2 Tbsps parsley (finely chopped)
For Goose Soup:
Place the goose pieces in a large stockpot; add water, bouquet garni, and season with salt and pepper. Add 1/3 of each of the carrots, leeks, onions, and celery. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Skim off any foam or fat that collects at the top. Reduce heat and gently simmer for 2 hours.
Meanwhile, prepare the matzo dumplings (recipe below).
Strain the soup into a large bowl or pot. Place the strained goose mixture in a large roasting pan to cool. Pour the strained broth back into the stockpot and add remaining uncooked vegetables and garlic. Bring to a gentle simmer. When goose is cool enough to handle, pick meat from the bones leaving the two legs intact, add the goose meat back into the broth. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender-crisp. Discard the bones and strained vegetables. Adjust seasoning if desired. Garnish with fresh parsley.
For Matzo Dumplings:
In a mixing bowl, combine matzo meal and butter, using fingertips to fully incorporate. Work in the remaining ingredients. The matzo dough should be soft and grainy. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator while the broth is cooking.
Form the dough into 1-inch diameter balls. Maintain moderate boil, carefully drop matzo dumplings into soup. Dumplings will expand as they cook. Simmer for about 30 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls, with 3 or 4 matzo dumplings per serving.