Finnish Apple Malt Bread
- 150 grams rye malt
- 300 milliliters lukewarm Apple juice
- 1 cube fresh Yeast (approximately 42 grams or 1.5 ounces)
- 100 grams apple sauce
- 100 grams sugar beet syrup
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Orange peel (zested)
- 60 grams Wheat bran
- 150 grams Rye flour
- 300 grams Pastry flour
- 20 milliliters Canola oil
- vegetable oil (for greasing)
The night before cooking, soak malt in 200 ml (approximately 6.9 ounces) of hot water and let sit overnight.
The next day, combine malt, juice and crumbled yeast. Add applesauce, syrup, salt and orange zest. Stir in wheat bran, both flours and the canola oil mix to form a tough dough.
Grease 2 loaf pans with oil and pour in dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 170°C (approximately 350°F).
Bake dough for 1 hour. Remove, let cool, slice and serve.