Chicken and Veal Fricassee
ready in 2 h. 25 min.
- 48 ounces mixed Meat (chicken, veal, pork)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large Red onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 stalks Celery (diced)
- 2 carrots (peeled and diced)
- 1 handful parsley (minced)
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 Sage
- 1 small, red, hot chili pepper (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 3 cups Chianti wine
- 3 ⅔ cups fresh tomatoes (peeled; seeded and finely chopped)
- 2 cups Broth (plus more if needed)
- coarse salt (to taste)
- freshly ground Black pepper (to taste)
- 1 loaf crusty italian bread (to serve)
Chop the meat into fairly large pieces. Rinse and pat dry.
Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet or pot. Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, parsley, bay and sage leaves; saute until the onions become translucent. Add the meat pieces; continue cooking until browned on all sides; stirring frequently. Add the chili pepper and the juice from one lemon; stir until liquid evaporates.
Add the Chianti and simmer slowly until the liquid is reduced. Add the tomatoes, ; cover with a lid and continue simmering until the meat is tender, about 90 minutes, adding broth as necessary (don't let the meat dry out). Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Ladle into bowls. Serve hot with crusty Italian bread on the side or in the bowl.