Baked Herring with Cheese and Eggs
- 250 grams Cherry tomatoes
- 4 Herring (ready to cook, with skin and headless)
- freshly ground peppers
- 1 Fresh herbs (such as parsley, mint, lemon balm, basil, thyme)
- 300 milliliters Whipped cream
- 3 eggs
- 100 grams freshly grated Cheese (Gruyere)
- 1 generous pinch grated Organic lemon zest
- 4 Tbsps Crème fraiche
- butter (for the baking dish)
Preheat the oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
Rinse tomatoes, cut in half and remove the stems. Rinse the herring, pat dry and season with salt and pepper inside and out. Rinse the herbs, pluck the leaves from the stalks and cut into fine strips.
Mix cream with the egg, cheese, lemon peel, half of the herbs and creme fraiche. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Line the bottom of a buttered baking dish with herring, pour the egg-cream mixture on top, sprinkle with the tomatoes and bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. Before serving, sprinkle with the remaining herbs.