By EAT SMARTER
Updated on 08. May. 2020
Clementines are the perfect snack-- sweet, sour and packed with nutrition.
- ...strengthen the immune system.The high vitamin C content in clementines strengthens the immune system, and provides important antioxidants that protect our cells from harmful influences such as free radicals.
- ...support healthy vision.Vitamin A and red plant dyes in clementines can improve vision, especially in the dark. Vitamin A also promotes the growth of healthy cells in the skin and mucous membranes.
- ...satisfy the appetite.Clementines have a sweet and sour taste but contain relatively little fructose, which means you’ll stay fuller for longer after snacking on them.
- ...provide an array of nutrients.Their high content of carotenoids (provitamin A) and flavonoids (plant dyes) makes clementines particularly healthy; these antioxidants protect us from cell damage, cardiovascular diseases and are even said to reduce the risk of some types cancer.
- ...help you burn fat.Since clementines contain up to 45 mg of vitamin C per 100 g, they can promote fat burning. However, the effect is only temporary.
- ...can interact badly with some medications.If you’re on beta-blocker medication, it’s best to steer clear of clementines. Beta-blockers increase the potassium level in the blood, and as clementines contain a lot of potassium, mixing the two could lead to harmful increases of the mineral in your body.
- ...shouldn't be combined with painkillers.Anyone taking painkillers should always wait two hours before and after eating clementines, otherwise there is a risk of heart rhythm disturbances.
Our Favorite Clementine Recipes
Find all our clementine recipes here.