Smoothies [add link to DIY Smoothies] are a great way to add fruits and vegetables, but sometimes slurping down a large smoothie can get a little boring. Smoothie bowls are a great way to switch up your breakfast routine and still get the nutritional benefits of a smoothie.
A smoothie bowl is made up of a few different things, first the smoothie. When making a smoothie bowl, you want your smoothie base to be a little bit thicker than if you were going to drink it so it is easily eaten with a spoon and can handle the toppings. The toppings on your smoothie bowl are endless, granola, fresh fruit, coconut, and nut butter are all great choices.
Here are some of our favorite versions:
Acai [add a link to the True Power of Acai Article]
1 frozen packet of acai concentrate
1 large, frozen banana cut in chunks
3-5 tablespoons almond milk
Toppings of your choice: granola, coconut, almond butter, fresh berries, and a sliced fresh banana are some of our favorites.
- Allow the acai to thaw for 10 minutes.
- Add the acai, banana, and 3 tablespoons of almond milk to your blender. Blend on high until completely smooth. If needed, add additional almond milk one tablespoon at a time.
- Transfer to a bowl, immediately add toppings and enjoy.
Green Smoothie Bowl
1 whole banana, cut into chunks
1 cup fresh spinach
half of an avocado
2 tablespoons almond butter
¼ cup frozen pineapple chunks
4-6 tablespoons almond milk
Toppings of your choice: goji berries, hemp hearts, chia seeds, flaked coconut, bee pollen and granola are some of our favorites.
- Place banana, spinach, avocado, almond butter, pineapple, and 4 tablespoons of almond milk in the blender. Blend on high until completely smooth, adding more almond milk as needed.
- Transfer to a bowl, add toppings and enjoy.
Smoothie bowls are a great way to get some extra servings of fruits and vegetables into your day, and they are so versatile that you can try something different each time.